Well, the dog days of summer are upon us! Temperatures are heating up, and no matter where you live and garden, the summer heat and dry weather can be a challenge. If some of your plants are starting to look a little tired, now is the time to replace them with annuals that will tolerate the hot, dry summer — even thrive in the sun and heat*. Choose from our list of heat tolerant annuals below to give you “the biggest bang for your buck” with beautiful blooms right up until frost.
When planting in this hot weather keep these tips in mind:
1) Start with healthy plants.
2) Use potting soil that will drain well.
3) When you water, do so thoroughly.
4) Fertilize on a regular basis.
5) Pinch off spent blooms to encourage new ones.
* Please note: Though these annuals are heat and drought tolerant, they will rely on you to help them get established.