Thanks to Marian Parsley for the inside dope on so many of the Heirloom and unusual varieties of vegetables that Behnkes is carrying this year, in the stores now.
- Bhut Jolokia (Hot) is one of the world’s hottest peppers. Its 3″ fruit grows skyward, not down. Ornamental, with high yields, too. To 40″ tall.
- Comstock Purple (Hot) is a cross between Tasmanian and Jwata. Upright, producing elongated purplish fruit with the same heat as cayenne peppers,. Grows to 24-36″.
- Serrano Del Sol (Warm to Hot) is a Southwestern-style chili.
- Sunny Border Black (Hot) produces black fruit that stays black till fall. Same heat as Jalapeno. Grows to 24-36″.
- Trinidad 7 Pod (Hot) is “outrageously hot”, according to the grower. Its fruits are red or yellow or both. Great in stews, salsas, and sauces.
- Orange Bell (Sweet) is an orange, medium-sized Sweet Bell, extra sweet when ripened. Compact plant, so excellent in containers. Known for flavor and disease resistance.
- Ubatuba cambuci (Sweet) is an Heirloom Brazilian pepper that looks like an umbrella. Squat, wide fruit turns from yellow to orange to red. Likes staking. Grows to 36″.
- ‘Amish Paste’ (Heirloom) is a favorite with home gardeners – sweet, meaty and flavorful. Indeterminate.
- ‘Abe Lincoln’ (Heirloom) has a sweet taste and produces right up until frost. Great for tomato juice.
- ‘Arkansas Traveler’ (Heirloom) produces a large bounty of dark pink fruit, which is sweet, even in the worst heat. Tolerates high humidity, too.
- ‘Amanda Orange’ (Heirloom) produces a huge fluted orange fruit that’s so sweet, it’s almost tropical. Indeterminate.
- ‘Black Prince’ (Heirloom) produces medium-sized deep garnet fruits with a rich flavor. Indeterminate.
- ‘Boxcar Willie’ (Heirloom) is a slightly flattened Jersey-type fruit that resists cracking. Indeterminate.
- Comstock Sauce and Slice (Heirloom) is great for pastes – meaty with few seeds – and in salads and sandwiches, too. Must be staked. Grows to 36″.
- ‘Evergreen’ (Heirloom) is very productive, with fruits that are green, then yellow. Great for salads, or frying up as fried green tomatoes. Indeterminate.
- ‘Garden Peach’ (Heirloom) produces meaty fruits that are mild and sweet. Peach-shaped and -colored, it’s a pretty novelty. Indeterminate.
- ‘Hillbilly Striped’ (Heirloom) is a huge bicolor with rich, sweet flavor. Great slicing tomato. Indeterminate.
- Principe Borghese is a popular Italian Heirloom. Compact, so great for containers. Small, plum-shaped fruit. Heavy producer, widely used for sun-dried tomatoes. Best given support. Determinate.
- Tomatillo Purple is the primary ingredient in salsas. Tart, and the size of cherry tomatoes.
- Tomatillo ‘Verde’ looks like a regular tomato, except it’s green. Used in salsas, dried, or baked in pies and preserves.
- ‘Moon and Stars’ (Heirloom) produces massive fruits – 25 to 30 pounds each and its thin rind is a pretty dark green. The flesh is a sweet pink. How cool-looking are they?