TURF TYPE TALL FESCUE
BEHNKE RECOMMENDED VARIETY
Closest to our Behnke Best Blends from the past
Produces deep roots that protect against drought and summer heat
Maintains a dark green color throughout the growing season
Adapts to a wide range of soils
BEHNKE RECOMMENDED VARIETY
Closest to our Behnke Best Blends from the past
Produces a fine bladed, lower maintenance lawn
Perfect for moderate to dense shade
Specifically formulated for our area
SUN & SHADE MIXTURE
Grows a thick, dark-green lawn in both sun and partial shade areas. Wide adaptability and elite varieties make this our most popular grass seed mixture. Endophyte enhanced for improved insect resistance.
Germinates quickly to fill in damaged lawns. This grass possesses species diversity and contains Black Beauty Tall Fescues, elite Kentucky Bluegrass and elite Perennial Ryegrass. These grasses grow a naturally dark-green and beautiful lawn. This mixture has excellent heat and drought tolerance. Will improve any lawn it is over-seeded into.
DENSE SHADE MIXTURE
Grows in shady areas and dry soils where other seed mixtures have failed. Contains naturally insect resistant endophytic turfgrass varieties, which helps to deter insect pests. Contains several grass types for species diversity.
Botanical Interests Seeds
(available spring and fall) – “At Botanical Interests our goal is to inspire and educate the gardener in you so that you can create beautiful and prolific gardens. Not only is the seed inside our packets the highest quality available, our packets are designed to give you the information you need to be a more successful gardener!”
- The highest quality seed available.
- Many heirloom seed varieties.
- USDA Certified Organic seed varieties available.
- Guaranteed – the germination rate of every variety is tested before packaging.
- All Botanical Interests seeds are untreated.
- No GMOs Safe Seed Pledge – Botanical Interests does not buy or sell genetically engineered seeds or plants.
Lake Valley Seed
Grow your garden with Lake Valley Seed and discover their high quality and wide variety of unique flower, vegetable, and herb seeds, available since 1985.
• Untreated seed; does not contain GMOs
• Organic & heirloom seeds available
• Carefully selected from growers around the world
Hart’s Seeds is the oldest seed company in the USA that is still owned by the same family that founded it in Wethersfield, CT, in 1892. These seeds are …
• NOT genetically engineered
• Suitable for organic use
They are seeds that you can feel safe growing fresh vegetables, flowers and herbs.
Safe for people pets and the environment. Since 1929, The Espoma Company has been the pioneer in natural gardening solutions. Behnkes is proud to carry the Espoma line of organic plant food from Holly-tone®, to the new Espoma Organic Potting Mixes. Espoma provides the most extensive selection of natural organic products that work in harmony with nature to grow beautiful lawns & gardens, preserve natural resources, and make a safer world for future generations.
Espoma All Season Lawn Food (9-0-0)
For a Naturally Green Lawn – Finally, an affordable, chemical – free lawn program that is safe for kids and pets. All Espoma Organic Lawn Products are specifically formulated to optimize the help of the lawn, and provide 2.5 times more slow release nitrogen (SRN) than a conventional lawn program.
All Season Lawn Food also contains Bio-tone Microbes that help make nutrients more available to your lawn. These microbes will help promote faster greening, deeper roots, and improved soil structure.
Espoma All Natural Lawn Food
- Safe for kids, pets & the environment
- Won’t burn lawns or leach out of soil
- Provides long lasting nutrition
- Creates healthy lawns & soil
- Requires less frequent mowing
Espoma Organic Weed Preventer (9-0-0)
Prevents Weeds and Feeds Plants – Espoma Organic Weed Preventer helps prevent unsightly weeds from popping up in your lawn while it nourishes the grass so that it becomes more resistant to heat, drought and other stress. And because the product is all natural, it is safe for your family, your pets, and the environment.
Espoma All natural Weed Preventer and Lawn Food
- Prevents dandelions, crabgrass and other common weeds.
- Provides long lasting greening that won’t burn.
- Children and pets can play on lawn immediately after application.
- Made from 100% pure, granulated corn gluten meal.
Espoma Chicken Manure (3-2-3)
Bigger Growth & Blooms – Dehydrated & Granulated for Flowers, Vegetables, Trees & Shrubs
- All natural Poultry Manure
- Dehydrated and granulated for easy application
- Approved for organic gardening
Espoma Bio-tone Starter Plus 4-3-3
The Ultimate Starter Plant Food – Bio-tone® Starter Plus is an all-natural plant food that is combined with a stronger concentration of our beneficial bacteria along with both endo and ecto mycorrhizae. The ideal starter plant food, originally designed for professionals. Bio-tone® Starter Plus will increase root mass and help avoid transplant loss in difficult planting conditions.
All natural plant food with bacteria, humates and mycorrhizae.
- Microbe enhanced all natural plant food.
- Includes both Endo & Ecto Mycorrhizae.
- Grows larger root mass to help plants establish fast.
- Promotes bigger blooms.
- Reduces transplant loss.
GreenView Fairway Formula Spring Fertilizer Weed & Feed and Crabgrass Preventer 24-0-6
Kills lawn weeds, prevents crabgrass and fertilizes your lawn for the entire spring season – up to 12 weeks without phosphate.
Best time to apply: The best time to apply is when dandelions are visible but have not gone to the “puff ball” stage. Apply when the grass is damp so the product adheres to the leaves. This product can be applied in the spring or fall. Application can be made using all makes and models of spreaders (drop or broadcast).
- One application provides the right amount of nitrogen for the entire spring and summer season!
- 65% slow release nitrogen fertilizes up to 12 weeks. Slow release nitrogen provides your lawn with controlled, steady nutrition over a longer period of time, resulting in thicker, healthier grass.
- Eliminates and prevents crabgrass and kills dandelions, clover, viney weeds and over 200 other broadleaf weeds as it fertilizes
- No excess growth, less mowing!
- Provides a full root system for a healthier weed free lawn
- Zero Phosphate to comply with local areas that restrict phosphate use
GreenView Fairway Formula Lawn Fertilizer 27-0-5
Fertilize Like the Pros – Lawn care professionals know that a key factor in cultivating a world-class lawn is applying the right fertilizer at the right time. GreenView Fairway Formula Lawn Fertilizer has lawn nutrients for your lawn to help it develop more robust roots, consistent even growth, and a lush, green color. This fertilizer formulation is ideal if you do not have weed or crabgrass control problems, but want to provide slow-release nutrients to your lawn which will keep it heartier and green up to 12 weeks.
- 63% slow-release nitrogen fertilizes up to 12 weeks.
- Slow-release nitrogen provides your lawn with controlled, steady nutrition over a longer period of time.
- Fertilize once for the season!
- Promotes deeper green turf, faster green-up, brilliant color response & fewer clippings.
- Repairs summer damage
Turf Trust Lawn Fertilizer 24-0-12
Slowly feeds your lawn for several months.
- Will turn your lawn green
- Creates a strong, healthy root system
- Look for the purple bag!
Download our Turf Trust Lawn Program Calendar
Plant Trust Tree and Shrub Fertilizer 21-5-12
Your trees and shrubs need a good feeding just like your lawn. Regular feeding with Plant Trust Tree & Shrub Food provides vigorous growth and builds strong root systems for strong healthy trees and shrubs. Applied to trees and shrubs in the fall when leaves have begun to drop, the fertilizer releases its nutrients over a 3 to 4 month period.
Shredded Hardwood Mulch
Behnke’s best grade of hardwood mulch in a 2 cubic foot bag. Hardwood mulch has a lower decomposition rate than other mulches which makes it last longer. Hardwood mulch also adheres nicely to the ground, keeping it from being washed away by rain.
Leafgro® is a superior quality compost used extensively by the landscape industry and homeowners as a source of humus for soil improvement. Leafgro® is an outstanding example of recycling at its best. By composting leaves and grass clippings that would have normally been disposed of in a landfill, the Maryland Environmental Service converts organic wastes into a valuable resource.
Behnkes Carries Soil Doctor ‘s line of Pelletized Lawn Lime, Pelletized Gypsum Soil Repair and Pulverized Garden Lime. Garden Lime improves fertilizer effectiveness, helps balance pH, reduce soil acidity and is easy to apply. Lime is essential for a healthy green lawn and supplies essential vitamins & minerals. Pelletized Gypsum repairs soil and pet damage, great for roses and tomatoes too!
If you suspect an insect or disease problem, bring a sample of the sick plant in a clear plastic bag. We can diagnose best from a branch or stem with several leaves attached, including some leaves that look okay and some that are sick or infested.
Also, if you can take a couple of pictures of the plant and where it is planted, that helps too. We might notice something like proximity to a downspout, a groundhog hole, or a deer at your bird feeder that may not come up in conversation.
Big pictures are easier to see than a photo on a phone, but any picture helps. We might even tell you that the caterpillar eating your parsley is going to become a black swallowtail butterfly and suggest you just leave it alone.