Garden Tools, #1
Last week, I asked you what you would like to see for sale on our online gift shop. Garden tools were the #1 item. It just so happens that our partner Botanical Interests is now offering a terrific selection of garden tools. While they are not selling everything we used to sell, they do have some of the most-needed smaller hand tools that every home needs. PLUS, they are offering FREE standard shipping for April!
I still believe you should go to your local independent garden center to get your plants and gardening tools. That said, we all know that sometimes ordering online is easier. Maybe you want to get a gift for your mom with Mother’s Day approaching. Making up a gift basket of the new homeowner’s essential garden tools is always a big hit. Another great gift idea for a new homeowner or your MOM is a gift card to their local garden center. Even if you don’t live in the area, do a quick search for Independent Garden Centers in their zip code. Just think about it, your gift card to XYZ Garden Center in Anytown USA could be the start of a lifelong passion for gardening for your friend.
Give The Gift Of Gardening
If you are looking for an easy creative way to give a gift of gardening, one thing that is fun is to make a garden basket.
Step #1 Go to your local garden center (support small businesses).
Step #2 Pick out a container. (this could be anything from a decorative pot to a watering can.)
Step #3 Decide on a theme. Maybe you want to give them summer-blooming bulbs or a lovely houseplant? At your garden center, the ideas are everywhere. From seeds to trees, they will have everything.
Step #4 Once you pick your theme, you can find the little extras to make it perfect. Let’s say you decided you are going to give the gift of an herb garden. Head over to the terra cotta section, find a nice pot, pick out a few pots of herbs and a bag of potting soil. Maybe add a nice pair of garden gloves along with some Mini Snips like these.
Step #5 Put everything in the container with maybe a small gift card to the garden center, and you are all set! Here are a few ideas for different themes.
Easy Gardening Gift Ideas
- Basket of Bulbs (bulbs, Espoma Bulb Tone, and a hand trowel)
- Selection of Seeds (annuals, perennials, vegetables, and herbs: choose which ones you think they will love. Get a seed starter tray and a bag of Organic Seed starter mix–I love ESPOMA Organic Seed Starter– and you are all set.)
- Container Garden: (pick out a nice size container. Decide if you want sun or shade, and, depending on the container’s size, pick out a few plants. Make sure you have a Filler, a Thriller and a Spiller. Add a bag of fertilizer, garden gloves, and a bag of potting mix.)
- Plant a Tree (for this, get a gift card to cover a tree’s average cost, mulch, and fertilizer. Add a gift card in a bright-colored tote that most garden centers sell. Maybe add the garden gloves, a watering wand, and a hose.)
- Fairy Garden: (this is such a fun idea, and you know I am all about fairy gardens if you know me. You can pick out a few different things like a tiny fairy house, a fairy, or a gnome, and maybe some small stones for a pathway. Put them all in a nice size container, add a few plants, and you have just started someone off on a magical adventure to the world of miniature gardening.)
I hope you have fun this Spring and if you are looking for the perfect gift for that special someone, wander around your garden center. If you are still looking for ideas, drop me a message, and we can brainstorm.